Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc.'s Approach to Personal Information Protection
Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. is handling various kinds of information such as our company's technological information and customers' information as a global supplier.
Paying serious attention to the value of this information, Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. has been endeavoring to establish the information management system and thoroughly implementing it. Considering this point of view, Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. has fixed the personal information protection policy given below, informed executive staff and workers, and is striving to protect personal information appropriately by following this policy.
President, Chief Executive Officer
Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc.
Definition of Personal Information
For Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc., personal information is information that is related to existing persons and that can be used to identify specific persons (for example, names, birth dates, numbers assigned to individuals, symbols or other marks, images, or voice recordings, and relevant information). This includes information that cannot be used to identify individuals by itself, but can be used to identify individuals by easy cross-referencing with other data. Personal information is not limited just to information that can identify individuals, but also includes all information that indicates facts, decisions, or evaluations relating to a person's attributes (such as a person's height or build, finances, work type, or position).
Based on the Personal Information Protection Policy given below, Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. will pay detailed attention to, and expend the utmost efforts on, protecting and managing such information.
The contents described in this “About Personal Information Protection” are also applied to the information that the customers input through Hitachi Kokusai Electric’s sites and provide to us.
This "About Personal Information Protection" document establishes the handling of personal customer information by Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc.
Personal Information Protection Policy of Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc
- Collecting, Using, and Providing Personal
While carefully considering the entrusting of customer information during company activities, Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. will handle such information appropriately by establishing a management system for personal information protection for each type of business, and also by following stipulated rules for collecting, using, or providing personal information.
- Following Laws and Norms
For the handling of personal information, Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. will follow the Japanese laws and norms applicable to the protection of relevant personal information.
Also, Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. will create and follow personal information management rules that conform to these laws and norms.
- Implementing Safety Measures
To ensure the correctness and safety of personal information, in accordance with the rules for information security, Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. will implement various measures (such as managing access to personal information, restricting the means for transporting personal information outside the company, and preventing incorrect access from outside the company), and strive to prevent any problems with personal information (such as the loss, destruction, falsification, or leakage of information).
- Respecting a Person's Rights Regarding His or Her Personal Information
When a customer makes a request to reveal, correct, or delete his or her own personal information, or seeks to prevent the use or provision of such information, Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. will respond with sincerity, respecting the customer's rights related to that personal information.
- Establishing Rules for Managing Personal Information Protection, and Making Continual Improvements
Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. will make sure that executive staff and workers recognize the importance of personal information protection, and will steadily establish rules for managing personal information to ensure that such information is used appropriately and is protected. These rules will be maintained and improved continually.
Purpose of Using Personal Information, and Providing to Third Parties
- Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. will use personal information only to achieve the following listed purposes in the business activities of manufacturing and selling electric and communication equipment, electronic applied equipment, electric measuring instruments, etc. However, because Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. covers a variety of business activities, please also see the websites of each division.
- To execute contracts between a customer and Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc.
- To contact for discussions or meetings with customers
- To provide after-service for products
- To send guides for conventions or meetings, or guides for new products
- To provide various types of member services
- To perform stock-related tasks
- To respond to various types of inquiries
- To perform analysis to improve products or services, based on surveys
- To provide personal information to Hitachi Kokusai Electric group companies when Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. co-operates with a Hitachi Kokusai Electric group company to carry out some business tasks.
- Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. will not provide customer personal information to a third party without first obtaining consent from the customer, except in the following circumstances:
- When required by law
- When required to protect human life, to avoid injury, or to protect assets, and when obtaining customer consent would be difficult.
- When required to improve public health or improve the healthy upbringing of children, and when obtaining customer consent would be difficult.
- When required to co-operate with the lawful activities of a national agency, local government organization, or person or organization entrusted with such a task, and obtaining customer consent would interfere, or be likely to interfere, with the carrying out of such activities.
- When entrusted with the handling of personal information, in the range of activities required to reach the purpose of the use.
- When providing personal information to continue business activities when business-related events such as mergers occur.
- When required to do so for business activities in which Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. is co-operating with Hitachi Kokusai Electric group companies, Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. sometimes provides Hitachi Kokusai Electric group companies with personal information (such as names, workplaces, home addresses, telephone numbers, fax numbers, email addresses, etc.). In such cases, the customer personal information is provided on paper or electronic media. The customer can request Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. to stop the provision of the personal information to a Hitachi Kokusai Electric group company.
- To answer customers’ questions correctly, Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. may record your calls.
about Usage of Cookies and Web Beacons
A cookie is piece of information that enables interaction between the web server that manages a website and a customer's web browser. A cookie may be stored as a file on the customer's computer disk.
When a cookie is used, the web server can record information such as which computer visited which pages on the website. However, Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. cannot identify an individual customer unless the customer enters his or her own personal information into the website.
- Web beacon
This technology, which functions with a cookie, enables the beacon owner to know how many times a customer accessed a particular page. However, unless the customer enters his or her own personal information when, or after, the cookie is accepted, Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. cannot identify an individual customer.
about Requests to Reveal Personal Information or Reception of Complaints
For customer personal information maintained by Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc., please carry out the following when requesting Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. to reveal, correct, add, delete, stop usage of, stop providing to a third party, or provide a purpose-of-use report for personal information (hereafter, collectively referred to as "reveal, etc."), or when sending a complaint:
- For requests to reveal, etc., personal information provided by a customer to business staff of Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc.:
Please contact the relevant business staff.
- For requests to reveal, etc., personal information provided by a customer in a Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. website:
Please contact the staff who manage the relevant home page.
- For requests to reveal, etc., personal information other than for the above cases (1 and 2):
Please contact by a mail or telephone.
Personal Information Desk
Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc.
Akihabara UDX Bldg. 11F
Request to Customers
- Most of the services provided by Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. can be used without requiring customer personal information. However, please understand that some services cannot be provided unless the customer provides personal information to Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc.
- Please understand that Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. is not responsible for the safety of personal information at websites of other companies which are linked to the website of Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc.
- It is assumed that the customer agrees to the contents of this "About Information Protection" document when the customer enters personal information into a Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. website. If the customer does not agree with this "About Information Protection" document, the customer may be unable to use some of the Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. services including responses to inquiries, etc.).
- The personal information protection policy of Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. is based on Japanese law.
- Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc. may modify this "About Information Protection" document as appropriate to accommodate improvements in the handling of personal information, or changes or additions to laws or other norms.
- This "About Personal Information Protection" document goes into effect from the day it is published including the update day).
- If statements in this document are covered by individual regulations regarding personal information, those regulations take precedence.
Inquiries about Personal Information
To make an inquiry concerning this site (About Personal Information Protection) excluding demands for personal information disclosure and complaints, please use the "Inquiry Entry Form".
Note: Personal information sent to the above contact addresses is not preserved by Hitachi Kokusai Electric Inc., and is deleted when a reply is made to the inquiry.
Enactment date: April 1, 2005
Revised date: April 1, 2010